Saturday, November 5, 2011

Shock and Ahhh...... *@&#^%!

Today was the day I swapped out the full front and rear suspension. Had my new HyperPro progressive springs mounted on my low milage eBay procured struts by Wenatchee Driveline (the ONLY place in Wenatchee that would take on the project- thanks Dave!) and picked today because daylights savings is ending and I get an extra hours to be sore from the continuous up, down, kneel, floor, up, croutch "where did I put that tool, part, coffee, part, tool, etc"floor, down... damn if I don't feel old after 11 hours of this.

Why BMW Technicians get paid so well...









First, off comes all the tupperware (plastic body trim and panels), mirrors, air wings, total of 15 pieces and 42 screws. Then disconnecting the fuel tank cage and removing the tank with the fork bridge, removing the rear tire and battery, all the front and rear suspension bolts, completely breaking apart the front fork bridge and letting the front flop around while working the front strut out, raising different parts and clearing space without doing damage throughout to the radiator... and then reversing the entire enchilada.


Minus what feels like 40,000 removed parts later..


While in there I found my fuel lines were beginning to crack in places and wanted brass fuel hose connectors instead of plastic to go with my $6 a foot nylon file line.

Learned a lot, realized I'm not that 30 year old I used to be near 20 years ago, but I got it done in 10 hours.







Rear spring and strut assembly
Anxious to feel the difference when I take her on her maiden voyage with the new springs tomorrow, no extra stuff at the end so we'll see.  ;)


Front spring and strut assembly
Oh... and the front line is the fuel injection rail and the rear line the return, which matches the fuel pump lines where gravity flow is the return line... don't ask me how I now know this.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment