Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fork Seal Change For Mistress


So I took some vacation to do some maintenance on Mistress to deal with the leaking fork seals.

Couldn't get the full angle so I dropped the rear tire and angled her up so I could pull it off the way I needed to. Found a horrible amount of grunge in the bottom and made myself a big Q-tip with a broom handle and cotton t-shirt when out came these other inner sleeves (pics).






Four segmented plastic tubes to be exact plus you can see a bottom bushing to boot. Wonder what keeps it from sliding down? Pretty interesting... plus my circa clips had rust on them to show water contamination and I just went ahead and replaced all inner parts with new ones.

So from start to finish it took me 5 hours by dropping the rear tire for fork angle, removing all the items necessary, replacing everything new and putting it back together.



Things I noticed doing this:

1. OD on sockets vary by brand, 36mm of the make didn't fit but the 35mm in 3/4 drive did. This was my seal insert tool.

2. I couldn't get the burping' air dental floss trick to work no matter how many times I tried so I just bolted it up. When I loosened the other side, I checked the pressure before pulling off and it was exactly like the side I was trying to put on after rebuild... had the same resistance factor so I'm not going to worry.

3. Don't tighten the bolts on the fork bridge until after you get the front tire on or the line-up of the axle bolt is tough. Once I loosened them I could get it lined up and in, then tightened.

4. Don't expect to accomplish the time standard set by the experts... go slow and save the beer for when you are done.



No comments:

Post a Comment