Thursday, June 9, 2011

The elusive final drive no longer so elusive...

So, ever since my FD puked in Idaho coming down Lolo Pass I was interested in picking up a spare. Now that the rebuilt one puked too (although covered by warranty in full) I was REALLY interested in securing a backup final drive.

The model K1200LT final drive I have was only made for 3 years, then they did a small redesign that took out the speedometer sensor and changed the gearing to give it higher RPMs and put it closer to the power band at speeds yet killed the fuel economy.  I like the taller gears and more flexible top end (95 mph feels like 65 mph when passing) and sounds good, not like other lower ratios that wrap power you really don't need and sounds like a dozen squirrels in a box with their nuts crimped all at once when you crack the throttle.

Broken 2000 LT
So I spent WAAAAAAY too much time looking through eBay and other sites for drives that are either the new model or priced too high.  Then I see an add for an engine being sold in Iowa from a 2000 K1200LT and inquire about the rest of the bike. Seems the rider put it (quite unwillingly I'm sure) into something that broke the nose enough to be totalled and the engine is listed with this picture. Is that a final drive I still see attached?

It was.

How much?

$325 delivered to the doorstep.

SOLD!

Found it delivered when I came home and pulled the magnetic plug to inspect and found nothing less than normal wear. Plus I got the yoke and brake rotor to boot.

isn't it beautiful?
I am a happy man...

No comments:

Post a Comment